must engage judges from the current approved SCJBF Judges List and
follow SCJBF rules, or that branch's students will not be accepted at
the Regional and Complete Works Audition.
must perform the same music and in the same category, at the Branch and
Regional Festivals, and also for the Complete Works Audition (CWA), but
complete, as shown on the CWA List. Multiple pieces must be from the
same work or as categorized on the CWA List.
student may enter a Branch Festival with the same movement or section
of a work he or she presented at any previous Regional Festival.
No student may use the same composition, or any part thereof, that was
presented in any preceding year at Complete Works Audition, except for
the Goldberg Variations.
- A student may enter on more than one instrument in a Branch Festival, but may not enter on the same instrument twice.
for keyboard concerti are required for the Complete Works Audition with
the exception of the Concerti for two keyboards. These accompaniments
optional at the Branch and Regional level. Accompaniments for all
string concerti are required at Regional and Complete Works Audition.
Teachers may not accompany
their own students. All movements of the Concerti are required for the
Complete Works Audition.
be eligible for CWA, a student must perform repertoire from the current
CWA list and must be selected as a winner at the Regional Festival.
Organ students entering the CWA are exempt from the "Regional winner"
requirement because Regional and CWA Organ events are conducted
student selected to receive a gold, silver or bronze medal in the
Complete Works Audition must be present at the CWA Awards Concert in
order to receive his or her medal.
- Time limit for the Branch Festival, Regional Festival and Complete Works Audition Awards Concert is 5 minutes.
music is to be performed by memory, except in categories XVII Organ,
XXI Flute and XXVI Ensembles, where memorization is optional.
- Ties in scoring at the Branch Festival are accepted for Regional.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Alternates are accepted up to 24 hours prior to the Regional Festival.
- Alternates are accepted for CWA if they play in the Regional Festival and are a Regional winner.
- All fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
- Teachers, students, and parents are prohibited from personal contact with judges before, during and after the competition.
fees for the Complete Works Audition are payable �per student,�
including all ensemble members and student accompanists who meet SCJBF
eligibility guidelines. The names of student-members will appear
in the printed program and, if an ensemble is selected by the judges,
each student-member will receive an award.
- Repeats in repertoire are optional.
may not present photocopied music to the judges. Accompanists may
not use photocopied music except to facilitate page turns.
students must have consent in writing from the previous teacher in
order to participate in SCJBF if the student has been with the new
teacher less than 6 months. For transfers that occur between the time
of the Branch and Regional Festivals, the new teacher must belong to
the same region as the former teacher in order for the student to
participate at the Regional Festival. For transfers that occur between
the Regional Festival and CWA, the letter of transfer consent must
reach the General Chairman by September 1 in order for the student to
participate in CWA.
- Video recording is prohibited at all Regional Festivals and at the Complete Works Audition.
�2016, Southern California Junior Bach
Festival, Inc. All rights reserved